The focus of this course is to educate students on the basics of the first trimester limited scan and the 3rd trimester evaluation. Lecture includes the non-gravid pelvic exam along with common pathology, the first trimester dating exam, 2nd trimester biometry and growth assessment along with biophysical profile, AFI, placenta and cervical length. During hands on instruction, you will be able to practice knobology, image orientation, measurements and anatomy identification.
The presentational method for this activity will be Lecture with Q&A, Hands-on Demonstration, Simulated or Live Patient, and Lab Exercises. This activity is geared to meet the educational requirements of OB/GYN and Primary Care Physicians as well as Nurse Practitioners, Nurse Midwives, and Physician Assistants. This activity will encompass the following desirable physician attributes: Patient Care & Procedural Skills, Medical Knowledge, Professionalism, and Practice-Based Learning & Improvement.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ are available for this course. The number of credits is dependent on the training curriculum.
- Recognize basic ultrasound artifacts
- Discover common pathology and limitations of ultrasound
- Perform a basic non-gravid ultrasound exam
- Identify the uterus, ovaries, endometrium and cervix
- Identify an intrauterine pregnancy and measure the crown rump length
- Acquire an M-mode tracing of the fetal heart
- Perform a biophysical profile
- Measure the biparietal diameter, head circumference, abdominal circumference, and femur length for growth assessment
- Measure the amniotic fluid
- Identify the cervix and placental location
- Communicate in a culturally-sensitive manner to patients who refuse transvaginal ultrasounds and discuss available alternatives
- Image Orientation
- Normal Gyn Anatomy
- 1st Trimester Scan
- Growth week by week
- Abnormal Findings
- 3rd Trimester Exam
- Biophysical Profile
- 2nd Trimester Exam
- Live hands on scan lab
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association (IMQ/CMA) through the joint-providership of CME Consultants and Mint Medical Education. CME Consultants is accredited by the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association (IMQ/CMA) to provide continuing medical education to physicians.
CME Consultants designates this live activity for a maximum of 15.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This credit may also be applied to the CMA Certification in Continuing Medical Education.